Conference on the work of identification of Produgal
During the meeting attended by the councillor for the policies of the sea, Pippo Isgrò; The commander of the Navy detachment of Messina, captain of the ship, Pasquale Bardetta; The commander of the Port Authority, captain of the ship Nunzio Martello; The Superintendent of the Sea, Prof. Sebastiano Tusa; The President of the Ecosfera Cooperative, Domenico Maiolino, and the President ASD Nettuno, Daniele Cotogno, has also been confirmed that the bronze rostrum of a ship of the Roman age, found at the end of the summer of 2008 off Acqualadroni, is undergoing restoration In Pisa and three to four months should return to Messina, to be exhibited in a municipal site of the city. The research dives of the shipwreck of the Produgal were made from 22 to 26 January
Last by the divers of the cooperative ecosphere, together with the technicians of the Superintendency of the Sea of the Sicilian region and the divers of the navy belonging to the SDAI nucleus of Augusta. During the diving campaign were carried out measurements of the wreck and photographic video documentation, highlighting elements that allowed the identification of the steamer, at 65 meters deep, in the steamship “Produgal”, 90 meters of Length, 12 in width and a tonnage of 2392 tonnes, belonging to the Russian shipping company Svorono & E. of Pollone based in Mariupol. Built in 1890 at Middlesbrough by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co. For the company Ruskin SS Co (A. Holland & Co) of London under the name of Ruskin, in 1901 it passed to the Darwin SS Co. In July 1908 it was sold to the Russian company Svorono & E of Pollone (Mariupol, Russia) and renamed Produgal. The dives all ´ inside the military zone of the port of Messina, which were authorized by the autonomous Maritime military command in Sicily, were accompanied by a historical search of the wreck, carried out in collaboration with the ´ association ” Neptune “, through the retrieval of journalistic news that reported news of the sinking ´.
A few weeks after December 28, 1908, the “Victoria Daily Colonist” and the Australian ´ “The Mercury” reported the tragic sinking of the Produgal freighter which was located at the ´ interior of the dry dock for repairs, from which it was moved from Power of the tidal wave ´. The articles show the Tales of Constantine Doresa, commissioned by insurance companies to oversee the work in the basin, and that together with some members of the crew of the same Produgal, joined the other crews of ships present in Port for the rescue of the survivors of the quake. The wreck, found after more than one hundred years, is intact for most of its structures, and is covered by about 3 meters, for all its length. The bow corresponds in its forms to what is indicated in the construction drawings while absent are anchors and the relative chains from the eyes of Cubia, while the winch Windlard anchors is no longer in its original position. Elements of the Bowman tree lie near the second hatch of the bow hold and the starboard Carruggetto, which housed the corresponding street light, is destroyed, while the left one is intact. Access to the forward, empty, cargo hold is easy through two large hatches. In the control bridge are still visible in the helm station the remains of the rudder and in the machine room the steam engine, with triple expansion with the underlying boilers. The kitchen with various utensils is well preserved.